Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Enjoying the Ride

Have you ever felt over-inspired? Sometimes I spend so much time absorbed in the blogs and websites of all the talented and gifted creative people out there that it somehow becomes very overwhelming. I end up with so many ideas and know so much about everyone else that I just end up will a mass of confusion and it all leads to feelings of inadequacy. It is something that has really been strangling my own creativity lately - comparing my work, and my stage in this journey with others - wondering will I ever be like they are?


To a point, it is so helpful exploring the creative worlds of other artists, to see what is possible - it can be encouraging to see that others have done this, so I can too! But I think it needs to be left at that - I find when I start comparing myself, and my work with other artists I get such an overwhelming feeling of anxiety, my stomach churns all day, and suddenly I put so much pressure on myself to create. I feel that I should have done so much more already, that I am so far behind everybody else - but the more pressure I feel under, the less I seem to create, and the worse I feel.


I want to enjoy the journey, to stop reaching for something that I may never get. We are always reaching out at something, wanting more - and too often forget about the wonderful journey we are on. Today I went into my studio with nothing in my mind other than the phrase 'Enjoy the Ride'.. Here is the result..


2 comments:

  1. So perfect! Such a serene and joyful image. Enjoying the ride is what it's all about. I recently had a similar epiphany. I realized when I was working I was thinking about the kids. And when I was with the kids I was stressed about work. I made a pact to 'be in the moment' and focus only on what was in front of me. Life is too short!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel exactly the same as you. In fact I keep telling myself to stop looking at all the wonderful craft and art blogs out there and to create something myself instead. But it is so hard to stop, and then I feel like I could never do anything as creative. It is really annoying have the self doubt all the time. I hope we can both overcome it!

    ReplyDelete